Wednesday, July 05, 2006

53 and 3/4

Sometimes when you see something on TV you think in your head, "I think I cold do that". Hell I've done it on more than one occasion, and one of those times was watching someone eat hotdogs. I was thinking to myself "I can eat 20 or more, how hard can it be", in my head I'm thinking I can eat wings like there is not tomorrow and I was a Wing Bowl Contestant (yet I didn't make it out of the first round)...But that is for another day. So a few months ago we (steakbellie and I) came up with the idea to try out for Nathan. Steakbellie does all the reading up and prep work and we get together for a test run....I think I'm going to do 16 my first run, two packs no problem...7 minutes and 37 seconds later, I'm only 12 hotdogs in, and I'm F'ing dieing...Long story short we trained for a few months and I got up to 16 in training, @ the Philly Qualifier I did 15. I never even got close to my dream of Coney Island and ESPN. To all the guys I've had the privilege of meeting at a few of the contest I've been to, congratulation. Brian, Humble Bob, Crazy Legs, Eater X...I look forward to trying again next year and being up at the table w/ you...Because I will be up at that table on the fourth of July.

Moral of the story: It's not nearly as easy as you think and these guys are no joke, one and all. I can only hope, dream, and train my ass off to get to the big table....

No comments: