Friday, March 09, 2007

Another fork in the road (Part 2)

I lie awake with a deep restlessness, I was anxiously awaiting his return...I knew he wanted his answer and I wanted this over with, once and for all. I had wasted so many waking hours second guessing myself and trying to decide on what path I would find my destiny. As sleep was desperately beckoning me, I slowly succumbed to it.

With the subtly of a freight train I was jarred from my rest by his untimely arrived. In that cynical tone he began his prodding...“What are you doing, going to sleep?"..."Taking the easy way again I see, that’s just like you.” My mind was filled with delirium from my lack of sleep, so I simply stated “I have your answer, or is it my answer? Either way I have it.” Excitedly he replied “It OUR answer and OUR problem, so leave your little identity crisis for another day…What have you chosen? I can’t wait to move on…” Defiantly the answer left my lips, and stung with the poison I wanted it to, “I have decided to stay exactly where I am, on the the very path I chose for myself along time ago.” Viciously and with the feel of disdain, he screamed at me so loud I thought he might wake Pep or the kids. “NO, YOU HAVE NOT FOOL! YOU HAVE SAT IDEALLY WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO MAKE THE DECISION FOR YOU!!!" I replied sternly "Lower your voice, no one can hear you but me and I will not tolerate rudeness from anyone" then in almost a whisper "I have chosen to remain on the path, that was made by me, and me alone." I know he is disappointed as he grows quite, his words taking on the tone of a broken man..."how could you do this to me...I have waited far to long for you to just sit here forever." I begin to approach him as if he is an angry child, and I realize he is.

"We have sat no where for all these years. What I have done is cut my own path between the two roads society set before us. We have never truly fit on either, We live for the moment and enjoy it to it's fullest potential, and that is when I walk parallel to that path. But anyone who doesn't remember his past as opposed to dwelling in it, is destined to repeat it...Now leave me alone, I need some sleep I've got to train for South Carolina...and the fish tank leaks

No comments: