Wednesday, December 13, 2006

If you are walking away, walk away w/ your head high


Maybe it's my naivety and new newness to Competitive eating but I don't understand the why we are blowing the Sonya issue so far out of proportion. I've tossed this back and forth in my head for a few days, read allot of fodder about it on www.eatfeats.com and still don't understand. I know she is great, I've had the privilege to eat against her twice, she handed me my ass both times. But it was still an awesome thing to experience, it gave me the fuel to push my own personal limits and new techniques to try and see if I could copy, remember imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
My issue is this and this alone, we all chose when and how we want to go out. Barry Sanders went out on top, too early in my opinion; yes but who gives a F#@K what I think. I'm not him I've never taken the pounding of a professional football player and he knew what was right for him. I am trying to make the sacrifices necessary to be a great eater and it's not easy either. Maybe she's had enough of the sacrifices, let her walk away.
We made no bones about Ed Jarvis, or Badlands walking away we wished them good-bye and good luck. I see them brought them back every once in a while for guest appearances or as special council to decide the outcome of an eater...Did they walk away on top?!?! Maybe, maybe not, but we let them go w/ grace and the respect they deserved for paving the way for end tablers like me. Let's show her the same respect for laying the foundation for the next group of female and male eaters...

No comments: