Monday, October 30, 2006

This really puts things in perspective

97...Sounds like an insignificant number. But it's not, in fact it's a number that has humbled me to a point at which I can not explain to you if you've never competed against a professional in any type of contest. Sounds odd I know, but hear me out. I played football in college with a DB who was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons. Now keep in mind I was a 285 lb. offensive lineman, that ran a Sub 5 forty (4.9 but still under 5), had a 27 inch vertical, benched 400 pounds and leg pressed 1000. This guy could make me look like his bitch on any given play at practice. He hit like a 300 pound Linebacker he was literally stronger than every lineman we had and was faster than out quickest wide out. During games it was actually fun watching him play.
Now to my point...this weekend I realized my place in professional eating. During the Krystal's hamburger eating contest, I watched Joey chestnut and Kobayashi eat 187 burgers 91 and 97 respectively. They absolutely shattered the record, but what was humbling was they broke the record by more than I ate (27 burgers). I honestly can not put into words how hard it is for me to fathom how much they ate, I'm in awe at there dedication and pure ability...once again in my like it's like watching men playing against a bunch of boys...

2 comments:

Frank Brigandi said...

I thought 97 was a spleef off of 69 but with like a secind cousin or something.. eh, who knew?

Dave S. said...

I'm glad you found the words to describe it, because I couldn't. Just incredible.